Though I am east coast born and bred today I live a relatively contented life in the suburbs of Chicago with my lovely bride Cathy, a dog, a cats & truly remarkable container gardens thanks in every respect to Cathy’s miraculous green thumb …
Today I have moved commentary and updates about the world of Product Sampling to my new site SamplingWorks! I ran StartSampling, Inc., a sampling company that helped create the on-line sample request market from 1999 until 2015 when the company ceased operations. I remain passionate about product sampling as it is a unique tool in the marketing arsenal, one that really helps connect people and brands in a very direct way which inherently lets people decide for themselves if they like what they try.
I am endless fascinated by the pace and depth of the changes we are living through, wondering what life will be like for my 4 kids as they each go about creating their own lives … I still marvel at many things … I do believe:
- … ultimately time is the only “resource” that is the same for all of us
- … it is impossible to ‘keep up’ with everything, which is a very freeing realization
- … education ought to be about learning, not testing. We must EDUCATE and not SCHOOL our kids
- … those who curate information help humanity
- … “the arts” are not a luxury, rather they are an essential part of being human
- … in laughing, often and loudly
- … in the power of love and that my generation, when young, got many things right in concept, however our execution has been far, far less than flawless
- … if profit and monetary wealth are the sole and unquestioned measure of success then the planet is likely doomed
… “Oh the jealousy, the greed is the unraveling. It’s the unraveling. And it undoes all the joy that could be“ *
- I speak about business and marketing based on more than 35 years of experience in the packaged goods world – my early career spent in the marketing research discipline on both client side (General Foods (remember when?), Pepperidge Farm, Cadbury Beverage, Heinz USA); supplier side (PRS and as Product Manager for InfoScan™(94-99) ; and most recently through my 15 years in the “digital marketing” space.
“In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on. “
*All I want – Joni Mitchell (1971) (Album: Blue)